TODAY’S CONVERSATION IS ALL AROUND FIGURING OUT WHOSE OPINION REALLY MATTERS.
So, mom, dad, whoever is listening, you should tune in with your kids on this one because after a decade of mentoring entrepreneurs, I am certain that we need this as much as they do!
Let’s raise them up right!
IN THIS EPISODE, WE COVER:
[1:32] The World Is Noisy
We live in a really noisy world, don’t we? It’s not that we’re just hit anymore with the opinions of our family or our peers, but we are bombarded all day with the thoughts of everyone. Today, everyone has access to us through the internet, through email, through social media, etc.
So, how do we know who to tune out? It’s important to know who to listen to but it’s equally important to know who to block out. Today, I’m going to walk you through how to figure out who is deserving of your ear.
[4:12] Whose Opinion Matters
You have to take things in and be able to discern whose opinion actually matters. And here are a few things that can help you do exactly that:
- The first thing to ask is: “Does this person have my best interest at heart?” This will rule out a big category of people, who are just giving their opinions to give their opinion, but they don’t really care about you.
- The second thing you want to check is: “Do they share my values?” Sometimes people are well-meaning but ultimately, you don’t share the same values. You don’t believe the same things. So, their opinion might be worth listening to but probably not because it’s not really speaking to who you are.
- The next thing you have to look out for is: “Would this person emotionally benefit from making me feel smaller?” Is there something in them that’s insecure and that giving you an opinion makes them feel a little bit better? If that’s the case, those people’s opinions don’t matter. You can cross them off the list.
- Then ask yourself: “Are they actually even people in my real life or are they strangers on the internet?” Can we all just please agree that strangers on the internet get 0% of your attention? There’s a block button for a reason. Don’t even engage.
- The next thing is: “What is my gut telling me?” What is your heart telling you? Should you listen to them or not? Sometimes you have to trust your intuition.
- Finally, I remember being taught this idea of “holding the rope”. If you were hanging off the side of a cliff holding onto a rope and someone else was at the top of that cliff holding the other side of the rope – would the person who gave you the opinion or the advice hold the rope for you? You have to determine the people in your life that are the rope holders, the ones that would sacrifice for you, the ones that care and love you deeply. Only then does their thought or opinion hold enough weight that you can take it in and discern whether it’s the right thing for you. Learn now how you can grow and discern what is right and whose opinion actually matters in your life.
I hope this episode helps you grow and discern what is right and whose opinion actually matters in your life. And if it did, make sure you share it with your friends! Tag us and let us know what you think, what you want to learn more of and what you’re going through.
We would love it if you would subscribe and leave us a review! And come connect with me on Instagram at @elizhartke and if there’s a topic, a question or a guest you want to hear on the show or an idea you have for us, just reach out and share that.
We do this for you so the more you tell us the more we can serve!
RESOURCES FROM THIS EPISODE: